Citywalk News for August

Ferguson Farmers Market is getting comfortable in our new home at Plaza 501, located at 501 S. Florissant Rd. (Redundant, I know!) Have you been to visit us at our new home? If not, consider this a special invitation for you, your family, and friends! We now have electricity, fixed restrooms, a convenient ATM on site, and some great new vendors. This Saturday morning tradition brings you fresh fruits and veggies, picked within 24 hours of our market and brought directly to you by the friendly farmers who grow them. We are open during the months of May through October, every Saturday from 8am -Noon.


Enjoy live music in a festive family atmosphere, and discover a wide variety of edible delights, including homemade jelly, farm fresh eggs, cheese, honey, spices, and organic meats. You’ll also find an ever-changing array of gift and specialty vendors, selling everything from cut flowers and bedding plants to hand-painted artwork and small-batch soaps. Please stop by to make a purchase and support our local vendors, including; Audrey Gail Jewelry, Divine Handcrafted Gifts, Doggie Wanna Cookie, Fit-Tritionist, Garden Stepping Stones, Goose Creek Soap, I Love Ferguson, Kay’s Kreations, Llamazing Bath Products, Northern Arts Council, Pawtastic Treats, Ruministics, Alpacas of Troy, Earth Dance Farm, Dietz/Siebert Farm (Beef, Pork, and Gus’s Pretzels), Hahn Farm, Kamp’s Peaches, Larder and Cupboard, Metro Greens, Missouri Honey, Mr. B’s Salsa and Hot Pepper Products, Pappardelle’s Pasta, The Raw Juicery, Ricardo’s Street Grill, Cool Delights Shave Ice, Just Omelets, La Fuente Mexican Food Hank & Anita’s Coffees & Teas……. If it’s homemade, handmade or fresh and tasty, you can buy it at the Ferguson Farmers’ Market!


The Ferguson Special Business District Board, along with the Ferguson Main Street Board is focused upon making the Ferguson Downtown a more economically vibrant area. In order to achieve that goal, we are researching ways to make the commercial district pedestrian-friendly to attract more visitors to the small businesses along Florissant Rd. In the coming weeks, you will hear a lot about Traffic Calming, which is the deliberate slowing of traffic in residential and certain commercial areas. According to a recent Strong Towns (www.strongtowns.org) article, “The first step towards encouraging the growth of small and locally owned businesses is to make roads human-scaled. The goal is not to move people through your town’s retail areas, but to support the businesses in those areas. Do this by slowing down the cars, narrowing lane widths, widening sidewalks, adding bike lanes and parallel parking, and by growing an urban forest to provide shade and cleaner air to the pedestrians walking from store to store” (6/5/18).


What would traffic calming look like in Ferguson? It would reduce the current four-lanes to three lanes and add 45 downtown parking spaces. The reduction would be from Carson to Suburban. You might be familiar with this plan, it was conducted by the City of Ferguson in 2013. Although 2013 might not have been the right time, many residents, as well as members of the FSBD Advisory Board believe the time is now. The Ferguson downtown area is growing with new businesses that weren’t around in 2013 when traffic calming plans were drawn, such as: Style-Taneous Styles, Om Turte Cafe, Blessings Closet, Baked Woodfire Pizza, Red’s BBQ, Trader Jeans, Papa Johns, Drake’s, Natalie’s Cakes, Couturier for a Cause, Wild Blossoms Boutique, and Almost Picasso, to name a few.


With the average car traveling much faster than the posted speed limit, we think the time to act is now. There have been comments and complaints on social media and at council meetings about speeding on both residential and commercial streets. To illustrate safety concerns, consider an example of a car exceeding the posted 35 mph speed limit on S. Florissant Rd. A car traveling 50 mph requires 122 feet to stop while a car traveling 20 mph requires only 20 feet. To give you some perspective, market tents are 10 feet, when you walk the market the craft side has 12 tents, that’s how long it would take a car to stop if a child walked out in front of a car traveling 50 mph in our downtown district. Looking at it in another light, “If a car is traveling 40 mph and you are hit by it you have a 10% chance of survival, a car traveling at 20 mph has a 90% chance of survival” (Car Crash Detective, 9/15).


Traffic calming is just one of the ideas for revitalization of our downtown business area. To show your support for this and other initiatives, come to Ferguson Main Street’s next public meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 22, at 5:30pm in the Council Chambers of Ferguson City Hall. Updates can be found on the City Walk Facebook page. This meeting will focus on organization and operation for Ferguson Main Street.


All CityWalk business owners are invited and encouraged to attend meetings of the Ferguson Special Business District Advisory Board, which meets the 2nd Thursday of every month from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Thomas Professional Building, 910 S. Florissant Rd. If you are the owner of a business in the Ferguson Special Business District and would be interested in serving on the Advisory Board, please contact Robin Shively at 314-495-7452 or cornersframing@gmail.com.

CONTACT

FERGUSON CITYWALK
110 Church Street
Ferguson, MO 63135
(314) 524-5197
EMAIL

 

CONNECT

facebook_lg twitter_lg